The Africa Channel has announced the 20 finalists in the competition for Best TV Series entered into the inaugural Zanzibar TV Series Festival and Zanzibar International Film Festival (ZIFF). The Africa Channel is the sponsor of ZIFF for 2018.
The new categories of best TV and best Web Series, were announced last year by ZIFF as part of its partnership with Africa’s largest content markets, DISCOP, that will see some of Africa and the world’s best known content producers and distributors on hand for DISCOP Zanzibar, from the 11-13 July during ZIFF, which is taking place from July 7-15.
Within ZIFF, the three days of TV Series screenings, presented by The Africa Channel, will be the official showcase for TV shows selected in competition for ZIFF. The selection team at ZIFF was overwhelmed with the response in this the first year of the competition, with dozens of TV shows being submitted from across Africa.
ZIFF Festival director, Fabrizio Colombo, elaborates, “We are proud at ZIFF to have formally opened up competition to TV and Web Series and we would like to thank The Africa Channel for allowing us to start in this great way in 2018.
“More and more in the film industry, and not only in Africa, it is said the television is the future of cinema. We want to acknowledge this dynamic space and its role in the development in the African entertainment landscape.
“Moreover, the quality of the storytelling and production in many of these TV series is an example of just how much cinema has influenced TV production. From this synergy, the African film industry has the possibility to grow, develop, and travel outside the boundaries of the continent. ZIFF will aim to be at the centre of this development and for TV and film producers.”
Two days of competition screenings selected by the ZIFF Festival will screen from 12-13 July and will be followed by a showcase day of screenings on July 14 where platforms such as The Africa Channel will premier some of their African-influenced content developed for the global marketplace.
These include projects The Bank, developed with Emmy nominated producers Rebecca and Doug Henning and Matt Luetwyler; World Wide Nate, an extreme adventure show; and Minjiba Entertains, a food and lifestyle show.
Open to the public as well as industry guests, The Zanzibar TV Series Festival presented by The Africa Channel, will celebrate excellence. The event strives to create a stage on which the foremost creators in the world of TV series come together, where tomorrow’s talents are showcased and a prestigious international competition for a wide range of genres and for series of all shapes and forms is presented.
Official selection announced for the Zanzibar International Film Festival after record number of entries...
30 May 2018
To further support the event, The Africa Channel will also be presenting a panel discussion at DISCOP Zanzibar targeted specifically at independent TV / content producers looking to sell their material internationally. The panel will cover topics including: creating for international markets, co-productions for independents, thinking beyond Pan African, and connecting Africa to the world.
The Africa Channel’s Narendra Reddy, executive vice president and general manager, explains,
"Through our TAC Studio’s production arm, we have seen first-hand the tremendous pipeline of talent from across Africa. The Zanzibar International Film Festivalis a fabulous showcase forthis talent, and we are proud to be the official sponsor of ZIFF's inaugural Zanzibar TV Series Festival. We look forward to hosting TV series screenings and a lively panel discussion for independent producers."
The full schedule of TV series screenings will be available on the ZIFF website.
TV series’ finalists for ZIFF 2018
1. Tales Of Eve | The Present Past, Imoh Umoren, Nigeria
2. Siri Za Familia, Sanctus Mtsimbe, Tanzania
3. Umlilo, Denny Miller, South Africa
4. This Is It, Dolapo Adeleke, Nigeria
5. Career Talk, Saitabao Kaiyare, Kenya
6. Crazy, Lovely, Cool, Obi Emelonye, Nigeria
7. Before 30, Bodunrin ‘BB’ Sasore- Nigeria
8. Hard Copy, South Africa, Harriet Gavshon and Tim Greene (producers)
9. iNumber Number, South Africa , Siphiwe Hlabangane (producer)
10. Talaaka, Nilesh Bhatt, Tanzania
11. SAMBA, Enah Johnscott-Cameroon
12. Ball’n Africa, Silalei Owuor, Kenya
13. Tumaini Senta, Kangethe, Mungai Kenya
14. Jab, Lucilla Blankenberg, Laddie Bosch, South Africa
15. Ba-Aunt, Mariam Ndagire, Uganda
16. Giving Nature a Voice, Andrew Tkach (executive producer), Kenya
17. Keru, Victor Gatonye, Kenya
18. #Family, Kwezi kaganda Ruhinda, Uganda
19. La Msingi, Morrison Mwadulo, Kenya
20. Fihi Season, Carol Odongo Boy, Kenya
Web Series’ finalists for Ziff 2018
1. America Heard: Refuge of Hope, United States, Yasmin Mistry
2. Chronicles of a Paranoiac, Russian Federation, Nikita Tamarov
3. Connection House, Italy, Vincenzo Cavallo
4. Festival Politicos, South Africa, Tshego “Red” Mosiane, Misa Makwakwa Masokameng
5. Kinshasa Collection, Germany, Dorothee Wenner
6. Loop, Mexico , Fernando Perezgil, Gerardo LS, Emmanuel Basurto
7. Nadya, Tanzania, Shams Bhanji
8. Nekros Pizza, United States, Sean Manos
9. Ngalangala, Tanzania, Tom Johns
10. Our Best Friend’s Wedding, Nigeria, Jerry Ossai
11. Prime Donne, Italy, Giacomo Spaconi
12. PULPETTE, Italy, Michele Bevilacqua, Arcangelo Iannace , Francesco Spaziani
13. Seburikoko, Rwanda, Kennedy Mazimpaka
14. SHADOWS, Kenya, Reuben Odanga
15. SUBS, South Africa, Tshego ‘Red’ Mosiane, Tseliso Monaheng
16. Tales of Shaa Umi and Nandis Adventure, Zimbabwe, Rodney Tapfuma Masanga
17. The Yard, Kenya, Busaka Jackton
18. Thesha, South Africa, Lungelo Mdlalose
19. Two sides of a coin, Kenya , Morris Simwa, Calvin Ombogo
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This Message Board accepts no liability of legal consequences that arise from the Message Boards (e.g. defamation, slander, or other such crimes). All posted messages are the sole property of their respective authors. The maintainer does retain the right to remove any message posts for whatever reasons. People that post messages to this forum are not to libel/slander nor in any other way depict a company, entity, individual(s), or service in a false light; should they do so, the legal consequences are theirs alone. Bizcommunity.com will disclose authors' IP addresses to authorities if compelled to do so by a court of law.